Slurry Module extends Fathom's capabilities to solve specific solid/liquid flow problems
Slurry systems present unique challenges in the world of hydraulic system design and simulation. Failure to accurately account for slurry properties, changing concentrations and pump performance effect can lead to plugged pipes, misapplied pumps, increased energy usage, reduced system performance and increased operating and maintenance costs.
The AFT Fathom Settling Slurry module (SSL) addresses the unique challenges of settling slurry system design by bringing the extensive capabilities, flexibility and ease-of-use of AFT Fathom to bear to these unique engineering challenges.
The Settling Slurry Module helps…
- Predict settling velocity and onset of deposition
- Prevent plugged pipes and misapplied pumps
- Reduce energy usage
- Improve system performance
- Reduce operating and maintenance costs
This module has been designed specifically for AFT Fathom and can work with your existing models.
The AFT Fathom SSL module lets you…
- Accommodate a wide range of slurry data
- Enter properties of solids particles and keep them in a sharable database
- Display special output reports with im, jm, settling velocity, slurry volume, mass flows and other slurry specific parameters
- Evaluate multiple design and operating cases using Scenario Manager
- Generate special slurry system curves, critical to understanding important system velocity limits
- Use state-of-the-art correlations to predict flow, pressure drop and reduced pump performance when pumping solids
- De-rate pumps
- Specify Slurries:
- Basic Water Slurry Input - uses water as the carrier fluid and treats all pipes as isothermal
- Advanced Slurry Input - use any fluid as the carrier fluid, allow slurry properties to vary among pipes, and allow heat transfer and system energy balance calculation
- Choose from three slurry calculation methods:
- Minimal - can be used in the preliminary design phase
- Simplified - additional information is required and gives a better solution
- Detailed – (default) provides the most rigorous solution methodology
- Select excess pressure vs. velocity data to calculate a slurry's M parameter
- Pump Performance:
- Choose from two pump slurry de-rating methods
- ANSI/HI Standard 12.1-12.6-2005 method
- Calculate system head loss
- Generate pump vs. system curves for single or multiple pumps that answer key questions:
- At what flow will deposition begin?
- When will increasing head with decreasing flow occur?
From new system design to modification or expansion of an existing system to simulating system operation, AFT Fathom with the SSL module provides you the capabilities and flexibility you need in this complex arena of hydraulic analysis.
AFT Fathom Modules Datasheet...