Pressure Vessel & Heat Exchanger Design & Analysis Seminar using PV-Elite and CodeCalc Software
COURSE OUTLINE / CONTENT
The seminar will cover design and analysis for all typical components of a pressure vessel, heat exchanger, or vertical process tower. The seminar will be based on ASME Section VIII, Division 1 and other standards. This will be a hands-on seminar and computer lab, using the CodeCalc and PVElite programs to allow students to gain practical experience with design and analysis problems.
Attendees have the option of attending the first 3 days, or all 4 days.
Topics covered include:
Day 1 (Vessels):
- Overview of vessel design, introduction of Div. 1, Part UG.
- Component internal pressure calculations, including heads, cylinders, cones (w/ cone & cylinder juncture reinforcement).
- External pressure calculations, including heads, cylinders, cones and sizing vacuum rings.
- Nozzle reinforcement calculations.
- Flange design/calculations per Div. 1, App. 2.
Day 2 (Vessels):
- External loading (wind & earthquake) on vessel and vessel support (saddles w/Zick analysis, skirts, lugs & legs) .
- Nozzle external loading per WRC 107 and FEA, Div. 2 stress categories.
- Jacketed vessels & non-circular cross sections.
- Large central openings, lifting lugs/tail lugs, rigging, platforms/ladders and trays.
Day 3 (Materials):
- Material (steel) introduction, grouping per ASME Sec. II-A & D and Sec. IX “P” Number.
- Weld joint efficiency per Div. 1, Part UW, and brief introduction on welding techniques & ASME Sec. IX WPS.
- MDMT (Minimum Design Metal Temperature) and Charpy V-notch toughness (impact) tests.
- Post Weld Heat Treatment (stress relief) and other material topics.
Day 4 (Heat Exchangers):
- Introduction to shell-and-tube heat exchangers
- Div. 1 Part UHX tubesheet calculation (compare w/ TEMA tubesheet calculations)
- Thick-walled and thin-walled (bellows) expansion joints.
- Floating head & backing ring calculations
- Packing box & follower calculations
- Pass partition plate and other miscellaneous exchanger topics.
Who Should Attend
Engineers and designers representing Manufacturers, Consultants, and Inspectors involved with designing, shop fabrication, maintenance, repair, and inspection of pressure vessels and heat exchangers.
Seminar Text and Software
Participants will receive class notes which summarize the course concepts and illustrate these concepts with examples. Each user will be provided with a computer and our CodeCalc and PV-Elite software.
The seminar runs 9:00 am to 5:00 pm daily.
(Back to top)
SCHEDULE / LOCATION
CALGARY, AB: June 2 - 5, 2020
Download registration form for June PV Session
Calgary Seminar Location:
Office & Training Center
#320, 10655 Southport Road SW.
click here for map
Recommended Calgary Hotel:
Delta Calgary South
135 Southland Drive SE
Features: Free parking, local calls & highspeed internet.
(Seminar is approximately 1km South of hotel).
COST & REGISTRATION
Cost per attendee:
First 3 days only: $1700 Can.
All 4 days: $2300 Can.
(tax added to invoice for Canadian residents)
We will confirm your reservation once we receive your completed registration form.
Register by phone or email: